Monday, December 9, 2013

Documenting Transfer Delays

Hey guys.  We are still working on meeting the hospital's goal of getting transfers out of the PICU to the floors within 1 hour.  I have developed a chart to track any potential delays so that we can gather data to determine where and why the delays are occurring.  Once we know this, we can make an effective action plan.  The chart is in the charge book in PICU.  For the time being, charge RNs, please record all transfers out by noting the patient name, MRN, transfer date, unit transferred to, and any reason for the transfer taking longer than 1 hour after a bed was assigned and noted as clean.

I apologize for asking you to do one more thing, but this is the only way to know if the delay is on our end or the receiving end.  I don't want to keep harping on you guys if the other units are creating the delays.

Thanks so much for your help!

Melinda

1 comment:

  1. It appears that every single transfer is being recorded. Is this correct or are you wanting ONLY the late transfers recorded in the log. I understand keeping track of the late transfers, but to keep track of every on time transfer in and out seems like a lot of documentation.

    ReplyDelete